WWE Jack Gallagher interview: Brit to star in WWE 205 Live - but reveals how close he came to giving it all up to ... - The Sun

GALLAGHER'S MAD FOR IT

The pale Mancunian grappler is currently mastering his trade – and  chasing a good cup of tea –  in Florida

GENTLEMAN JACK GALLAGHER will be proudly flying the English flag when he makes his debut on the WWE’s new cruiserweight division show 205 in America on Tuesday night but he came close to jacking it all and swapping the ring for the classroom.

After a decade stunning audiences with his old-school wrestling style up and down England and in the Mystical East of Japan, the Mancunian finally got his big break with WWECruiserWeight Classic competition in the summer.

English wrestler Jack Gallagher makes an entrance during the Cruiserweight Classic

From there the philosophy degree holder earned a deal on the WWE network’s newest show and he is already chasing down the nation’s biggest hard men and best cup of tea as he aims to cement his name in the pantheon of wrestling greats.

Speaking to SunSport from Florida, a parched Gallagher said: “I’m doing well, it’s a continual search for a good cup of tea and it doesn’t rain over here in Florida – just little 20 minute showers – I’m never in danger of getting a tan and carry and umbrella at all times.

“I’ve settled in well and am attending the performance centre and working with great coaches. It feels like I’m living in a strange American sit-com surrounded by the wackiest characters imaginable.

“My chance came at just the right time – it seemed like it would be the last hurrah of my career – and instead it has been my break-out moment and I am now dubbed the 10-year overnight success.

“If I had legitimately put wrestling aside I was going back to do my masters or start teaching philosophy or go professional in MMA.”

Like Brock Lesnar and CM Punk, Gallagher is keen to mix martial arts skills in the sport of MMA although he is now short of time with his commitment to the biggest wrestling brand on earth.

With his legitimate fighting background – two wins, the most recent in April – his throwback style and British charm and wardrobe, Gallagher does not just see himself as the most unique rising star at the WWE’s Florida performance centre- that also houses former Bundesliga keeper Tim Wiess – he sees himself as the most unique wrestler in the planet,

Giving incredible insight into the literal school of hard knocks, he said: “I like to believe I am the only person of my ilk doing what I do in the world.

“There are a lot of guys doing technical wrestling but I believe what I do is different to everybody else. There are so many things that I do that make things unique.

Ring technician Jack Gallagher hits a perfect dropkick

“How many people are here? Easily over 100. There are multiple classes running every day – both strength and conditioning and in-ring – it is a non-stop moving machine and looks like a mechanical clock.

“It’s a structured format so you train with the same people every day. As you progress small changes happen but you are usually stuck together and there is a lot of camaraderie.

“I try to keep very professional but I marvel more at being able to work with these people. That’s the stuff that excites me.”

English wrestler Jack Gallagher in the WWE

What also excited the 5ft 8in combat star is fighting the biggest men the WWE has to offer – that includes the Celtic Warrior and the Swiss Superman.

What he doesn’t fancy is a whack to his perfectly slicked auburn hair from one of the WWE’s demonic instruments of pain.

He said: “I have wrestled 10 years and I have never been put through a table, I have never practised being put through a table, I have never practised been hit with a ladder – I don’t want to practice those things.

“If get hit with one it really hurts. We don’t want to be hit with those things.

“If I was  to take on someone from the main roster of Raw or Smackdown I would want a legitimate heavyweight, the diametric opposite to me. I want Cesaro, Sheamus. Give me Braun Strowman.”

WWE 2015 Live begins tonight on the WWE Network.

English wrestler Jack Gallagher makes an entrance during the WWE Cruiserweight Classic
Ring technician Jack Gallagher hits a perfect dropkick
English wrestler Jack Gallagher in the WWE

SUMBER